Thursday 12 January 2012

It's been a while...

Like the title suggests it’s been a while since my last post.  Some of my medical problems have gotten on top of me recently and painting has become quite difficult unfortunately, though this post will show what I’ve managed in the last month.

Myself and Luke teamed up for the Warmachine Doubles hosted at Maelstrom Games this weekend just gone, we took Menoth (me) and Circle (Luke), details of the event can be found here.  This event used the new 2012 Steamroller Beta rules meaning that the flank and Kill Box complications were used.  The new flank reinforcements rules meant that we each added 7 points to our main 35 point lists; these arrive as reserves in the Maintenance Phase from turn two onwards.  Flankers can activate the turn they arrive meaning something fast, shooty or both would be ideal choices, I decided to try out my Menoth cavalry as they are exactly 7 points and would give me something to aim towards with my painting.

I’ll concentrate on the painting of the Vengers for this blog entry and follow it up in the next entry with a review of the doubles as an event and some mini battle reports on how we faired during the weekend as well as photographs of all the armies on display.

Painting the Vengers
The Vengers are Exemplar Knights on horseback, they wear the same armour as their on-foot counterparts as well as share many similar attributes gaming wise.  I decided that during the construction of these fantastic miniatures I would paint the men separately to the horses, so I wouldn’t struggle to reach obscure areas with a paint brush.

The larger 50mm bases allowed me to slide some larger slate pieces onto the bases and in places give the effect of the horse standing on these which was something I like doing, i.e. taking a bit more time to make the bases stand out.

I chose the same colour pallet as the existing Menite miniatures and techniques for painting the white, purple, sanguine and gold common to all of the figures I’ve done so far.  I kept the horses skin fairly pastel so not to detract from the rider and armour plates.  Whilst painting the riders I opted to snap off both arms (at the super glue joins) and paint these separately, soon after starting these I realised I would struggle to get into the nook and crannies of the miniature – this decision worked out well.

As a unit they took me far longer than I anticipated painting; they were completed at 11pm the night before the tournament!  Below are images of the completed models:


Exemplar Vengers - Completed unit
Exemplar Vengers - POW 14 lance in your face!
Exemplar Vengers - Front view close-up
Exemplar Vengers - Side view close-up
Exemplar Vengers - Rear view close-up
Exemplar Vengers - Bases close-up

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Nick,

    Again your bases look sick. How did you find the cavalry in your games?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good Nick - a worthy addition to Sevvys retinue.

    ReplyDelete