Friday 13 April 2012

Open War 17 prep


As mentioned in the last post I’d missed a trick with the Errants benefiting from tough, due to Rhupert Carvolo’s Heroic Call pipe tune coupled with Power of Faith *action (no knock-down or stationary) from the Covenant of Menoth; so I decided to get him painted up for use at Open War 17.  Below are a few snaps of the completed infamous Piper of Ord:

Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - front
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - rear
Rhupert was relatively easy and quick to paint as he didn’t have too many details and I am quite happy with the result.

Open War 17 is a three list event, one 50 point list and two 35 point lists with character restrictions across all three lists, so potentially a bit restrictive on list building – but that’s what SR2012 aimed to do!  I decided to take the same lists as Grand Slam for the 35 point event with a slight change to the Kreoss list, the Redeemer was dropped for Rhupert and Rhoven & Co.  I’m not massively keen on Rhoven, but felt it added a bit more variety as well as motivating me to paint!  So below are some photos of Rhoven and his honour guard:

Visgoth Rhoven and Honour Guard
Rhoven & Co. got the same paint style as the other Exemplar models, however the trio each have a few unique aspects; Rhoven for example is a priest and has little ornate armour, but a lot more cloth and I took the opportunity to build up a good smooth transition on the back of his cloak and hat etc.  I also learnt how to paint fire by reading the guide in the Menoth faction book: interestingly you start light and work up to dark.  Gius and Cassian both have a lot of details and I took my time on the armour panels with some black lining to make them stand out.  Cassian also has a bear head allowing some nice flesh tones and I also added a scar to his face and matching crack on his helm to reflect the fluff.  They were tough and time consuming to paint, but I’m pleased with the result.  Below are some snaps of the trio as individuals:
Visgoth Rhoven - front
Visgoth Rhoven -rear
Gius - front
Gius - rear
Cassian - front
Cassian -rear
So fully painted for Open War 17, just got to pack and play some games ideally without too many daft mistakes, as per Grand Slam I!!!

2 comments: