Sunday 6 November 2011

Golden Troll Open 2011, the exploits of Sevvy Part II

Game 3
Mission:  Sacrifice
Opponent: Paul Mansfield
Opposing  faction: Minions, Blindwater Congregation
Bloody Barnabas
*Blackhide Wrastler
*Ironback Spitter
*Bull Snapper
*Bull Snapper
Gatormen Posse(max)
Gatermen Posse (max)

My chosen army: eSevvy

eSevvy was chosen for this game as I'd decided I would over lunch, but seeing the match up was too good not to pass up considering my feat is so powerful against a heavy infantry list and the presence of the Covenant in this list basically nullifying the Barnabas feat entirely.  A superb match up for the glorious Menites, clearly the choirs had being singing with much enthusiasm!

Turn 1  My opponent, Paul, won the roll off and went first casting the various upkeeps and  surging the reptilian horde forwards.  I did the same, though through careful measuring of my control area knew my two Reckoners could get a cheeky assault order off on a couple of Gatormen, I missed one and the other took seven damage and was on fire.

Turn 2   Barnabas saw the mighty power of the Reckoner's ranged firepower and called forth several swamp pits into which the remaining crocs lurked practically making them impervious to being shot and they were within potential charge range of me next turn (Gatormen get extra charge movement against living models).  I knew this turn was going to be the decider and I had an evil plan!  I loaded up my jacks with focus, moved eSevvy forwards and feated, catching a good amount of the enemy army, I took control of a maximum 6 Gatormen infantry and did something terribly rude, which to be honest I’d planned from the start.  I shifted the four which were contesting the mosh pit out, running them towards my main army and facing them backwards, moved some Daughters of the flame into the pit to control it.  Then moved one of the other two Gators next to the ‘Sacrifice’ flag and scored.  The sacrifice mission means the model touching the flag takes a POW 20 hit and is flung like a power attack throw should it survive.  I destroyed the remaining Gatormen who had their backs cunningly faced to my fully powered Reckoner jacks.  So a control point up and most of the enemy heavy infantry decimated.  I also used the book to ensure Barnabas’ knock down feat wouldn’t affect any of my models.

Turn 3  My opponent had suffered a huge blow and tried to pull off and assassination, he managed to get a very thin LOS to eSevvy with the Spitter and fully boosted the shot, but only caused 4-5 boxes of damage, though he was corroded.  I sent a Reckoner into the Blackhide Wrastler, but didn’t manage to slay the beast, though I probably took 75% of its health away including a couple of aspects, I also killed off the remaining Gatormen.

Turn 4 Another valient effort from Paul, I had shut down any possible assassination vectors on Sevvy this turn, but Paul managed to throw my Reckoner out of the control zone and sacrificed a Bull Snapper on the exploding flag to make the control points level again.  He had to committed everything to this endeavour, and full credit to Paul is due here as he never gave in despite the dirty Menites having the upper hand from the off.  Barnabas ended up in a compromising position  and Paul knew his warlock would feel the Menites full wrath in retaliation.  Expecting this he put Iron Flesh (+3 DEF) and Spiny Growth (+2 ARM) on himself to limit my damage as well as two transfers.  During my turn I loaded up my jacks and decided the order for an assassination attempt on Barnabas.  eSevvy went first sending a fully boosted Hex Blast through the Blessing of Vengeance which not only damaged Barnabas, but removed the Iron Flesh upkeep spell and the Spiny Growth animus levelling the playing field again.  The Errants went in next, three getting Backstrike bonuses and a full charge damage, they carved out Barnabas’ transfers.  Next the brace of Reckoner’s went in causing damage and after a couple of hits forcing tough rolls.  Barny made two successive tough rolls and I was starting to run out of attacks to kill the cold blooded warlock !  The Vassal forced an ancillary attack on a Reckoner and dared Barny to make a third...... but the old crock failed so another assassination victory for the Menites!

Game 4
Mission:  The Gauntlet
Opponent: Tim Martin
Opposing faction: Circle of Orboros
Kromac
*Woldwyrd
*Pureblood Warpwolf
*Warpwolf Stalker
Tharn Bloodtrackers (max)
Stoneward and Woldstalkers
Blackclad Wayfayrer

My chosen army: pSevvy

I chose pSevvy for this game as I prefer him as a caster and I like the hitting power of the Avatar, plus both Circle lists had plenty of high DEF infantry: Ashes to Ashes plus the Vanquisher love that!

Turn 1  Tim won the roll off and chose the side with two forests which would aid his defence and not hinder his movement, given the plentiful pathfinder skills seen in the forest dwelling folk.  I advanced and put out my upkeeps.  I did switch flanks with my units so the Blessing and Vanquisher could hunt the infantry, whilst the Errants and Avatar the heavy beasts, doing this meant I missed my opportunity to put Defenders Ward onto the Errants (my usual target), so I chose the Avatar instead, this would later turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Turn 2  Tim started to advance the Bloodtrackers, to chase their escaping prey, the Errants, and killed off the Vassal and half the Choir crippling my warjack support.  The Circle light construct started shoting at the Avatar with multiple shots that became more powerful by a D6 for it having an upkeep spell on it.  Luckily the Avatar shrugged off the bolts with ease given its ARM of 21.  Should the Errants have had the Defenders Ward upkeep spell on them several would have been undoubtedly slain!  Tim was cautious with his beasts and Kromac and didn’t advance too far forward at this point.  During my turn the Vanquisher's big AoE, the Blessing + pSevvy's Ashes to Ashes killed 8/10 Bloodtrackers and the two remaining were a good distance from threatening Sevvy.  The Errants shot the Circle solo dead and did some minor damage to the light construct.  They held position on a hill to have good ranged LOS as well as a bit more defence in preparation for the counter attack.

Turn 3  Tim’s turn three saw the Pureblood come out and attack the Errants with a 10" spray and a few died from a combination of remaining Circle attacks.  The remaining Errants and TFG charged the Pureblood during my turn and killed it, the Vanquisher incinerated a good portion of the Woldstalker's.  The Avatar and Blessing repositioned after clearing out my right flank of all threats.

Turn 4 The Stalker came out to play this round killing off most of the TFG and a couple of Errants in a flurry of berserk attacks.  The Vanquisher moved right up and shot the remaining Woldstalkers and I deliberately set up a trap where if the Stalker charged the Vanquisher the Avatar would counter it next turn.

Turn 5   Lots of death on both sides now and the Stalker took the bait, but I didn’t realise it could retreat so far after coming out to attack, it charged the Vanquisher and then had a Warpath move directly away, then it Sprinted (its own animus) even further, so no counter charging avatar!  During my turn five  I used my control to ascertain the Stalker was just out of charge range of the Avatar for definite but the Blessing could make it so he got a full allocation of focus and hit the Stalker very very hard, but not enough to kill it.  The last Errant and last TFG member jointly tied up the Bloodtrackers whilst killing the light Circle warbeast.  The Avatar gazed and ran straight up to Kromac and the wounded Stalker.

Turn 6  The clock was really ticking down now.  Kromac healed the Stalker who hit the Avatar as hard as it could but didn’t do too much damage (Defender's Ward really helped a lot here).  Kromac charged the Avatar too and hit it as hard as he could, denting it but not doing much damage, he then feated to keep on hitting it, burning through all his fury, still the Avatar lived, though his movement system and main melee weapon was crippled.  I had less than three minutes for my turn and had to move fast.  The Avatar rolled only two focus for this round so the Blessing took three focus should he need it.  The last choir boy was out of range to buff the warjacks so I went straight into combat with the Avatar.  The shield hit and caused 4-5 damage, which added to Kromacs feat damage, took him to at least 12 wounds taken at this point.  I boosted the to hit dice on the crippled sword and hit, striking at POW 20 it was pretty much over so I made sure by boosting the damage and rolled something like a 9 on 2D6 meaning it was all over with just a few seconds to spare and a third successive assassination victory for the Menites!

I'll add some thoughts and reflections in the third instalment as well as the photos I took of the armies people left out over lunch.  Some really nicely painted minis at this event so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment