Monday 7 November 2011

Golden Troll Open 2011, the exploits of Sevvy Part III

Closing thoughts and conclusions
'Golden Troll was everything I expected and more', to sum it up in a single sentence.  I really enjoyed all of my games and all four of my opponents were sporting and pleasant guys.  The whole thing was relaxed and didn’t feel hyper competitive in the least, something I had become very tired of during some of my latter 40K tournament experiences.  I felt the T.O. JT-Y did a superb job and I expected as much having been to Toy Soldier events hosted by him over the past few years.

Regarding my personal performance, I posted up that I was aiming to achieve a single win, which was a reasonable objective given my relatively low Warmachine and Hordes tournament experience plus the afore mentioned high calibre of players attending the event.  Winning three games was far more than I could possibly have hoped and as a result I placed a respectable 6th in the event.

Obviously I was really pleased with this performance, though in fairness to my opponents most games could have gone the other way, the eSevvy game against the Gators was a horrible match up for my opponent, but he kept on trying and if he’d passed the last tough roll I could have lost quite easily the next turn, similarly in the last game I had very little time to achieve a victory and made it just before ‘dice down’.

My fellow wargamers from Hull Warmachine and York etc all had a great time too and I think my favourite bit of the event was sharing a pub meal together with them after the event, re-telling our glorious victories and horrible defeats over some good grub and a pint!  To be honest the social aspect of this hobby is what makes it so special in my opinion.

Some photos of the armies on display over the lunch break:






























































































Some concluding thoughts on my army choices for those interested in my thoughts on Menites at war:
The Sevvy’s are probably my favourite warcasters, hence my reason for choosing them.  The prime list was really a jack of all trades as it could deal with infantry exceedingly well with the arced Ashes to Ashes and the Vanquisher’s double Flame Belcher shots.  The list had the Avatar who under Eye of Menoth and Hymn of Battle hits so hard it isn’t funny, game two he killed three Circle beasts in one turn.  I do find this list more fun to play and I seemed to gravitate to it every time.  The epic list did a stirling job during the Barnabas game (3) and was my scenario list.  I did find that the Reckoner’s just couldn’t hit quite hard enough to finish an opposing heavy, however this can be overcome by adding assistance from other melee sources such as charging Errants, or the Blessing of Vengeance.  I don’t think on reflection I’d change my lists as they’ve worked well against what ever they’ve faced during play testing and the event itself.

The Menite army is quite attritional as a faction and the Sevvy’s are attrition casters on top of that, meaning they don’t favour quick assassination games.  If I’m honest I have an attrition play style too so they’re suited to me really well!

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment