Monday 22 October 2012

The Harbinger

The Harbinger is another Menite warcaster, she is mounted on a large base and is incredibly detailed.  This miniature is perhaps the most awkward mini I have ever built and painted.  It is very delicate and there isn't much space for pinning; further citing the positions for all of the Zealots and Harby herself is very tricky, being out by a few millimeters will mean that the model will not fit right.

Initial assembly was tough as outlined above, but a lot of 'dry-fitting' with pins was worth it in the end.  The Harbinger herself has a pin laterally right through her hips to attach both side swirls.  She also has a pin vertically to attach the upper and lower torsos - I painted these separately, as were the three Zealots and her shoulder guards.

One small mistake that I made was perhaps not replacing the haft of the flag given that this piece flexes all of the time and may well break in the future.  The problem is that it isn't round, but rather rectangular and very hard to remove from her hand.  If I did another Harby model I'd take the time to use brass rod, but for now I'll try and securely pack her in my figure case...

Painting was quite a treat for this model as the long flowing swirls lend themselves to some nice blending and the miniature(s) are all very nicely sculpted cumulating in a great model for the tabletop.  I used all of the colours and techniques described in previous articles, so hopefully you'll like the end result:

Harbinger - upper torso

Harbinger - lower torso

Harbinger - full view (front)

Harbinger - full view (side)

Harbinger - full view (rear)

Harbinger - full view (side)

Harbinger - Zealots (front)

Harbinger - Zealots (rear)

Turning the tables Splattermania style.
I'm no photographer or computer tech so my first video is a bit poop I'm afraid, but I've had a go at a 3D Harby.  It looks too dark to me, but maybe in future I'll learn how to get the lighting right, any tips please drop me a comment or an email!


2 comments:

  1. Looking good Nick - Having seen the model in the flesh a few times I can say that it is a great stand out miniature and model worthy of leading out the menoth army you have put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers bud, she'll no doubt make a good doubles caster.... yarrr ;-)

    ReplyDelete