Monday 10 October 2011

Gaming and painting update

Vanquisher painting update
I’ve started the Vanquisher now and decided to match the purple/cream/gold panels to the existing Crusader jack for continuity.  The painted Crusader is the battlebox jack and was glued as a Crusader.  I purchased two plastic Menoth jacks later and magnetised them so I can make several variants, the Vanquisher being used this instance.

Vanquisher legs WIP
I paint the bases of my models first these days, I used to do the base last but find a better result when I can drybrush the base without the worry of ruining the paint job on the actual model.  I also put a lot more effort into my bases these days and find they look better when painted first!  One thing I do however is apply the static grass and tufts after the model is finished so if by chance I did allow the base to get some unwanted paint on it the grass/tufts could be placed strategically to hide this!!



Vanquisher legs WIP
Work in progress shot of the Vanquisher’s legs below shows the main base coats applied, followed by the first shading layer.  The next step is to re-apply the base coat, this will effectively give the model its first highlight and stop it looking totally flat.  After that I’ll apply proper highlights and in some instances deepen the shades creating the usual transition.  I’ll paint the legs in one stage, the body and head in another, followed by the weapons.

 Gaming update
Well I’ve discussed a lot about the painting of my Meonth in preparation for Golden Troll in a couple of weeks, but less on the gaming side of it.  I’ve primarily been using the Prime Severius list as this one has changed the most, the Epic Severius one being tournament tested needed less practice I felt.  For reference the list is:

pSeverius
*Blessing of Vengeance
*Vanquisher
Avatar of Menoth
Choir of Menoth (min)
Temple Flame Guard (min)
Exemplar Errants (min)
Exemplar Errants UA
Vassal of Menoth

The big change, previously mentioned, for play testing was dropping the TFG to a minimum unit and upgrading the Crusader to the Vanquisher.  In essence this change was for the better.  My play testing of late has allowed me to get the Vanquisher working well and its continuous fire 4”AOE just works a treat, I've incinerated infantry as well as caught a few unwary Warcasters with the fire - it also serves well to make opponents react to it.

I’ve found that the minimum TFG feels a lot slimmer than its full size, that sounds obvious, but when the unit is designed to form a defensive cordon for Sevvy or as a tar pit unit, loosing 40% makes it much less effective.  Through my play testing I found another use for the TFG, I’ve been cheekily slinging one of them forwards into a position where I can blast it with Ashes to Ashes through the Blessing of Vengeance, the spell hits the D6 nearest enemy, so although I’ll loose my TFG I can potentially kill 1-6 high defence low armour enemies in combat with my troops, stealthed or hiding behind cover etc, effectively needing a 3 to hit.  For larger games I'd definitely upgrade them back to a full size unit for two points.

Gaming has gone fairly well and I’ve won more practice games than I have lost, a good thing for me – LOL!  I think I’ll probably use the prime list more than the epic, though at the tournament you must use each list at least once, either way I’ll have some fun which is why I’m going after all!

I’ll post some more pics as the Vanquisher gets its paint job, then I’ll concentrate on the second phase of the desert terrain, so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment