Friday 21 October 2011

Super-secret side project… REVEALED! Part II

I completed the first part of my desert terrain project a couple of weeks ago and last night applied the finishing touches to Part II.  Again I’ll provide some detail on how I made each piece for any readers wishing to follow my example.

Rocky outcrops and spires
Large Rock spire - constructed
Firstly I used cork board to mark out the rock formation areas, this provided a starting block and would help to tie in the various aspects of the outcrops and provide some height.







Small Rock spires - constructed
 I then used a bread knife to carve 1” thick blue high density styrofoam (insulation board).  I never use the lighter white polystyrene used as packaging as it is bloody awful to use and it gives a poor finish; also if you have a partner you won’t be in good books with all the mess it creates!  I used a hobby scalpel to do any fine carving once the main shape was created. 




Small rock spires - filler applied
Large rock spire - filler applied
As seen the styrofoam was cut into rough circles and carved at the mid point to make a double ridge.  A 1” thick ridge would be out of scale I felt.





Outcrop 1 - filler applied
Outcrop 2 - filler applied
The styrofoam was filed, then a layer of filler applied to soften the edges and blend in any areas that were still a bit rough, then filed smooth.  

 


Rock spires ready for painting
Outcrops spires ready for painting


Various grades of gravel were added to the outcrops to keep them model friendly and also look a bit better on the finished item.







Similarly to the terrain in Part I a layer of watered down PVA was painted on to seal the filler and sand, preventing any loose material coming off in the heavy drybrush painting that would be applied later.

Sand dunes
Sand dunes - at filler applied stage
The sand dunes were very simple, literally a large piece of high density styrofoam glued to the baseboard, then carved to shape with the bread knife.  Similarly to the rock spires and outcrops filler and sand was applied.  I did try and take extra care sculpting the dunes to create the crescent shape seen in real deserts, though I had to be mindful this was wargames terrain and as such had to be usable too. 






Oasis
Again a very simple technique; I used off-cuts of the styrofoam to build relief around when the water area would be and smooth the transition with filler.  The photo to the left shows the oasis in its most basic shape, I added lots of smaller off-cuts to ease the burdone of the more expensive filler. 

 Once the filler had dried I re-carved the  contour with the bread knife to get a more appealing gentle slope, the filler was re-applied at this point to further enhance the oasis' shape.


I did add a lot of slate and gravels to the fringes of the oasis to make it a bit more interesting.  The photo to the left shows it ready for painting.

 Painting was identical to Part I, however the spires and outcrops were differentiated by painting them Scorched Brown, then drybrushing Beastial Brown, then Bubonic Brown and finally Bleached Bone.

I finished off the terrain by applying some Army Painter tufts as well as some static grass sparingly.


Finished desert terrain Part II: 
Rock spires
Oasis
Sand dune
Rocky Outcrop 1
Rocky Outcrop2





5 comments:

  1. You Sir,

    have far too much time on your hands. Very nice Nick, your gaming table will look very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having played a game on Nicks new desert board last nightingale can vouchsafe that it is indeed wonderful stuff!

    Unfortunately the devotees of menoth found the desert much more to their liking than did my Forrest dwelling circle who where butchered under the burning sun and flaming weaponry of the menites!

    The trees from the last post where my favourite piece - it was delightful to play with some correctly sales trees instead of my regular games workshop shrubs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have read 'scaled trees' - damn iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for the positive comments guys :-)

    Glad you liked gaming on the desert board Luke, definitely agree on the tree scale too, at first I thought they were too tall, but its more like the GW ones are too short and we've all got used to that TBH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool sir. Man I need to build myself a board... in the new year I think.

    Watching this blog with interest!

    ReplyDelete